Friday, October 22, 2010

Onesies and flowers

This is my best friend Megan and I last weekend at the home where she grew up. We were in Tabor City to do a little celebrating. 


And this is who we were celebrating. 


Megan's having a baby!!!

As you can tell she's not here yet, but I'm absolutely already in love with her and the thought of getting to spoil her rotten. Megan's about the closest thing I'll ever have to a sister and that baby is about to become another one of "Aunt Kelly's" favorites. 

In preparation for her big debut we've been hard at work picking out paint colors, fabrics, cribs, etc. Megan is supervising a grand remodel of the nursery suite. (Ok, so maybe its just a nursery but when this room gets finished I'm going to suggest that Lily James take the guest room so I too can enjoy the life of luxury when I visit). But, I'll post more about that when its ready for the big reveal. 

In the meantime, I've been working on a few projects of my own.

So, my thing has been to make a sock monkey for my friends who have had babies recently. In my earlier post I mentioned that I totally stole the idea of making these from another blog. 

Well, I've done it again. 

I wish I could take credit for what I'm about to show you, but I can't. 

I saw it, I liked it, so I made some for Lily James' first baby shower. 


Who doesn't love a onesie on a baby? And what better way to show off a little girl that's going to have style than with a flower to match her mood that day?  I saw them here


They really are so stinkin' cute and fairly easy to make. The flowers come off and can be changed. I bought a pack of onesies and went by JoAnn's to find some various fabric that I liked. 

There are a ton of ways to make the flower. Google it sometime if you don't believe me. It's a bit overwhelming. Who knew there were women out there who's lives were all about teaching me how to make flowers out of scraps? 


After I was happy with my flower I finished it off by stitching the other half of a snap to a piece of felt then attached that to the flower. Most of my flowers were made out satin and so they needed a little something to reinforce them on the back. I doubled and tripled alot of my stitches. My biggest fear is having small pieces that Lily James could somehow pull off and get in her mouth. 

And voila  - with that a shirt was born. Or, rather, alot of shirts were born. I sewed snaps onto four different onesies. I hear babies get messy and you have to change them alot. 

And here was my "garden" of different flowers. If the poor girl takes after her mother or I, she'll have a hard time deciding what to wear and may need to change her mind at the last minute. In that case there's always a back up. She won't even have to get undressed. Pop one off, pop another one on. 


And, should she find herself wanting to change it up even more I made a headband too. So the flower she wears today on her shirt could be the flower she wears tomorrow on her head. Oh, so many choices, so little time. 


The best part is she'll never really outgrow them. I'll just keep getting bigger onesies and sewing snaps on the front. They'll grow with her.  Snappy, I mean snazzy, huh? 

And here was my finished product all wrapped up for the party. These flowers also can moonlight as packaging decor as well. :)


My only regret is that I didn't put a snap on a t-shirt for Megan. I just know she'd love some mommy-and-me matching outfits. (just kidding) 

3 comments:

teresa said...

Beautiful! Do I see an Etsy store in the making.....

Unknown said...

Haha! Aunt Norma mentioned us having matching snap shirts. I sure wish I had put some makeup on before we took those photos at the house. I didn't know I was going to be on the blog!

Kelly said...

Thanks T!

Megan - don't worry, I'll make you famous. ;)